Wednesday, June 21, 2006

welcome to my blog

I figured what with the book out and all, it might be good to have somewhere, aside from my website, to do some shameless self-promotion, keep people in the loop on various events & happenings, have discussions about writing and publishing and whatnot, and invite others to do the same.

What better place than a blog to do that?

* * *

So about the book, briefly: It's called Beachglass. It came out May 20. And when I say "came out," I mean at your local B & N, Borders, cute Indie bookshop -- not like I'll be picking up my black-plastic-spiral-bound xeroxes at Kinko's. This is "a real book" -- hardcover, published by St. Martin's Press, with all the bells and whistles. Having grown up in LA, where everyone and their brother has a screenplay, I am used to people claiming to be writers who are really waiters (it's only one letter off, so it may be more a spelling issue than an inflated ego issue)...so I hate to say it, for fear of sounding phony and self-centered. And yet here I sit, a published author, with a hardcover book, some reviews and interviews and book signings, a radio spot here and there, and even the occasional fan mail!

"What's it about?" you may be asking (hopefully not aloud, since this not an actual conversation). It's about a girl's adventures in her recovery from addiction and her best friend who is dying of AIDS. But it's not depressing. It's even funny at times. Could say it's a coming-of-age story, but one of those 'coming-of-age in your twenties' things, not a 'coming-of-age as a young teen' thing. (People are coming of age later and later anymore.) Could also say it's a friendship story. It's an AA story. It takes place mostly in West Hollywood. There are drag queens and strippers and artists (oh my!). And it's fiction. Not the James Frey kind of "fiction," where I claim it's real and then get busted by the Smoking Gun and reamed by Oprah, but the intentional kind of fiction, where I made stuff up and then wrote it down.

* * *
I’m hoping to post stuff at least a couple times a week. We’ll see how that goes.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent idea! I look forward to reading your blog. Nice recipe card link."Chilled Celery Loaf"?? Good god!I wont be bringing that to any potlucks. Or maybe... ;o)

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to thank you for a most excellent, inspiring, and well-written novel. Your writing ability and experiences truly are gifts.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Blackathy said...

=) Nice.

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home